Longest Burmese python on record captured in Florida
Published 5/20/2013 at 1:41 p.m. 1 comment
A Miami man has caught and killed the longest Burmese python ever captured in Florida: 18 feet, 8 inches.
Collier commissioners may eliminate environmental advisory panel
Published 5/18/2013 at 7:00 a.m. 0 comments
At least one Collier County commissioner wonders if getting rid of the county's Environmental Advisory Council board is a way to streamline government.
Wildlife Hospital: Re-nesting proves successful with two Cooper's hawk nestlings
Published 5/16/2013 at 3:53 p.m. 1 comment
Von Arx Wildlife Hospital at the Conservancy of Southwest Florida reports on its patients for the Naples Daily News.
Florida panther kitten rescued in Collier, recovering from surgery
Published 5/16/2013 at 6:40 a.m. 0 comments
A 9-month-old Florida panther has been rescued after a Golden Gate Estates man spotted the injured kitten on his way to work.
Public can review plans for 13 imperiled species in Florida
Published 5/16/2013 at 6:37 a.m. 0 comments
Mooring buoys near coral reefs are among the recommendations in more than a dozen conservation plans that Florida wildlife officials want the public to review.
Stone crab lovers have plenty to crab about as 'terrible' harvesting season ends
Published 5/16/2013 at 6:01 a.m. 5 comments
Stone crabs are a delicacy harvested in Southwest Florida but Wednesday marked the end of the season for pulling them from their traps. Crabbers and retailers say the season wasn't the best.
Naples leaders hooked on new rules to protect pelicans at city pier
Published 5/15/2013 at 7:12 p.m. 3 comments
Fish parts on full display as visitors walk along the Naples Pier. Pelicans hooked by people fishing. City leaders are devising new rules for the landmark to address these and other concerns.
Ground broken on newest portion of Gordon River Greenway
Updated 5/15/2013 at 6:41 p.m. 0 comments
The greenway nature trail will stretch two miles from Golden Gate Parkway toward downtown Naples, ending at Central Avenue. It will feature paved paths, wildlife viewing stations, decorative bridges and educational signage, among other amenities.
FGCU foundation declines developer's offer of 600-acre land donation
Updated 5/14/2013 at 7:58 p.m. 0 comments
FGCU President Wilson Bradshaw says the FGCU foundation won't vote on a 600-acre land donation and that he is canceling a non-binding letter of intent to accept the donation, which was endorsed by the university trustees.
Collier to rebid beach widening project without truck haul option
Updated 5/14/2013 at 8:46 p.m. 4 comments
A beach widening project set to start later this year has been beset by controversy over how much sand to add to the beach and how to get it there.
Collier staff outlines up to $20 million of projects to clean Naples Bay
Published 5/14/2013 at 5:35 a.m. 2 comments
Collier County staff has up to $20 million worth of proposals in mind to cut freshwater flows that now come into Naples Bay through a massive system of canals and weirs.
After three decades, permit OK'd for third Everglades restoration station
Published 5/12/2013 at 8:30 a.m. 0 comments
An Everglades restoration project in Collier County’s back yard is marking a milestone in its rocky history but another rough spot could be looming.
Sea turtle sickness may be caused by cold weather
Published 5/9/2013 at 10:38 p.m. 0 comments
Higher numbers of stranded sea turtles have been found on beaches from central Florida to southern Georgia. Many are chronically ill and suffer from a variety of infections.
WILDLIFE: The fight was on to save a turtle
Published 5/9/2013 at 4:05 p.m. 1 comment
Joann Fitzgerald is the director if the von Arx Wildlife Hospital at the Conservancy of Southwest Florida.
Pelican Bay to ask for share of sand in planned Collier beach project
Published 5/8/2013 at 8:11 p.m. 8 comments
Two citizens groups in Pelican Bay want to get a share of the sand generated during a Collier County beach renourishment planned for later this year, but not everyone agrees.
- Newer Stories
- Older Stories
- Apr 21st 2013 Wiggins Pass dreging project
- Apr 18th 2013 Conservancy of Southwest Florida's…
- Apr 7th 2013 A look at Clam Bay
- Apr 6th 2013 ECHO's Global Farm
- Apr 3rd 2013 South Marco Beach renourishment project
- Mar 17th 2013 Clam Pass reopened after dredging…
- Mar 15th 2013 Dead manatee found on Marco beach
- Mar 10th 2013 Ed Carlson retires from Corkscrew…
- Mar 1st 2013 Clam Pass
- Feb 26th 2013 Black bears in East Naples
- Feb 22nd 2013 Lee County Urban Farm Tour
- Jan 19th 2013 Rookery Bay Nature Festival
- Apr 23rd 2013 Florida sues BP, Halliburton
- Apr 7th 2013 Opening Clam Pass
- Nov 30th 2011 Florida panther release
- Oct 31st 2011 Raw Video: Water rushes over weir
- Aug 31st 2011 FWC official describes gator attack
- Aug 12th 2011 Gov. Rick Scott goes fishing
- Jun 30th 2011 Interview: Least tern nesting boom
- Jun 27th 2011 RAW VIDEO: Gator in garage
- Feb 23rd 2011 Man caught feeding raccoons
- Feb 10th 2011 Ready to build with recycled foam
- Dec 11th 2010 Video of Groundbreaking City Gate…
- Dec 6th 2010 The cold water and manatees
- Alligator Bay feeding Naples Zoo at Caribbean Gardens -- 11 A.M.
- Barrier Islands Guided Walk Bowditch Point Recreational Park -- 9:30 A.M.
- Beach Combing Delnor-Wiggins Pass State Park -- 9:30 A.M.
- Jungle Larry & Safari Jane’s Snakes Alive Naples Zoo at Caribbean Gardens -- 1:45 P.M.
- Meet the Zoo Keepers Naples Zoo at Caribbean Gardens -- 10 A.M.
- Naples Zoo feature show Naples Zoo at Caribbean Gardens -- 11 A.M.
- Primate Expedition Cruise Naples Zoo at Caribbean Gardens -- 10 A.M.
- "After Hours” at Corkscrew Swamp Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary -- 5:30 P.M.
- Guided Kayak Trip Rookery Bay Environmental Learning Center -- 9 A.M.
- Mangrove Guided Walk Matanzas Pass Preserve -- 9:30 A.M.