NAPLES — A former Naples High baseball standout has been released from the hospital after being severely injured in an altercation a month ago. Meanwhile, Taylor Hashman’s assailant has yet to be charged.
Hashman, a 2006 graduate and former baseball player at the University of Mississippi, was discharged from the Regional Medical Center in Memphis on Saturday. Hashman, 22, had been in the hospital since July 31 when he was struck in the face following an argument and injured his head when he fell to the ground.
The incident happened in front of Hashman’s apartment in Oxford, Miss., where the he had recently completed his senior season playing for the Ole Miss baseball team.
Hashman had surgery to remove part of his skull to reduce pressure on his brain. He was listed in critical condition by the hospital for more than a week. Hashman’s father, Don Hashman, told WMC-TV 5 in Memphis that his son was in a medically-induced coma for almost two weeks.
Attempts to reach the Hashman family Tuesday were unsuccessful.
While Hashman recovered, investigators in Oxford were waiting to press charges against the baseball player’s attacker. Oxford police chief Mike Martin said the department knows who hit Hashman and could charge him with a misdemeanor right now.
Police are waiting to see the extent of Hashman’s injuries, Martin said, to see if they should pursue felony charges.
Martin said a police investigator and an assistant district attorney went to Memphis to interview the Hashmans last week. The police chief said he expects the district attorney to present the case to a grand jury to see if felony charges can be made against Hashman’s assailant.
“I think they will go ahead and present the grand jury with the whole case to see what the grand jury says,” Martin said. “That should be upcoming within the next month.”
Connect with Adam Fisher at naplesnews.com/staff/adam_fisher.